Archives & Special Collections
Swain School of Design 1920-1929
Swain School began charging fees in 1921, although it still claimed to offer free tuition. The free tuition claim was dropped from the catalogues in 1933. For many years the cost was $60 per year for a full time student, and $20 for night school.
The 1921 catalog cover at left is student art work, designed by Flora Levesque.
The William F. Crapo Gallery was founded in 1925 to provide Swain students and the greater New Bedford community with an opportunity to view original exhibitions of art. The Georgian Revival gallery was a gift to the school from the Crapo family in memory of William Wallace Crapo, one of Swain’s original trustees. It was officially dedicated in 1927 and directly connected with the Swain homestead.
There were a series of annual prizes, and an annual exhibition of student work. Many works were pictured in the catalogues.