Archives & Special Collections
History of UMass Dartmouth & the University Archives
The Claire T. Carney Library Archives and Special Collections serves as the permanent home for the historical records and artifacts of UMass Dartmouth and its predecessor institutions, New Bedford Textile School and the Bradford Durfee Textile School, as well as the Swain School of Design. Records include official documents, catalogs, reports, correspondence, photographs, audio and video resources, maps, plans, and artifacts that document the history of the institution.
Consult our LibGuide, “Sources for University History” for help in researching the history of UMassD.
For information on the architect who designed our campus, Paul Rudolph, see the Paul Rudolph website.
History of UMass Dartmouth
- The Textile Industry, 1895-1947
- After World War II, 1947-1960
- Southeastern Massachusetts Technological Institute (SMTI), 1960s
- The Modern University, 1960-present
- Swain School of Design
- UMass School of Law
- Documenting COVID-19
- Chronology of University Names
- Chronology of Campus Buildings Construction
- Past Presidents and Chancellors, 1895-current