Find, Borrow, Request
Request Materials from Library “Closed Stack” Compact Storage Locations
What is library storage?
Due to library space issues, usage and other considerations, not all books and journals can be kept in the main library stacks. Some of the library collections are located in remote library compact storage locations. For safety and security reasons, patrons are not allowed in these “closed stack” compact storage areas.
How do I request an item from library storage?
To request an item from the library’s closed stack storage, choose one of the following methods:
- From the library home page, search for an item in the search box using Primo Discovery & Access Services System.
- Your item will have a location that looks like this:
Available at Claire T. Carney Library – UMass Dartmouth CLOSED STACKS – Request Circulation Desk – 1st Fl. (TJ810 .I465 1980).
- Choose REQUEST under the FIND IN LIBRARY tab under the selected item.
- For walk-in requests, please fill out a Storage Retrieval form at the Claire T. Carney Library’s Circulation Services Desk.
Once your request is submitted and processed by library staff, you will receive an email confirmation. See retrieval schedule below.
Storage books and periodicals request and retrieval schedule:
- Request/retrieval service for materials located in storage is available Monday – Friday during the day. Evenings, weekends, holidays and university break periods require additional retrieval time.
- Most requests received will be processed on the same day, however requests will not be available until confirmed by a Library Circulation Services email.
- NOTE: Sizable requests may take longer to process and availability may be delayed.
What if the library cannot find the material or it turns out it is otherwise unavailable?
If the material requested cannot be located, the library staff will send an e-mail indicating that a search for the item will be initiated and ask if the patron wishes to be notified when/if the item is found.
How long will the library hold requested material that has been retrieved?
Requested and retrieved storage books and periodicals are held for 5 week days and returned to the general collection if not picked-up. This policy is the same for weekends and semester breaks.
Where should materials be picked up and returned?
Please pick-up and return all storage books and periodicals at the Circulation Services Desk on the first floor of the Claire T. Carney Library.
Loan periods, overdue fines and other material borrowing requirements are detailed in the library’s Borrowing Policy.
If charged storage periodicals are returned late and become overdue, there is a late fee of .25/day. Books and other materials in storage follow regular borrowing rules.
Other questions about storage materials and requests?
For further information on your request or about materials in storage, you may visit or telephone the Claire T. Carney Library’s Circulation Services Desk at 508-999-8750.