Primo - What Am I Searching?
What am I searching?
Primo is a search tool that allows you to find and access a wide range of print and electronic resources provided by the library. It includes library materials such as books, videos and journals as well as online articles, ebooks and digital art collections from the Visual Resource Center’s LUNA database. You’ll also find some materials that are not immediately available from the library but may be obtained through our interlibrary loan services.
Primo's Search Includes:
Alma contains the physical and electronic holdings located in or accessed through the Claire T. Carney Library & the UMass Law Library.
- Physical holdings consist of print books, print journals, thesis/dissertations, scores, maps, video and audio recordings, microfilm, and other physical items located in the two libraries.
- eBooks & eJournals are available online through the UMassD Libraries.
Primo Central Index (PCI)
The Primo Central Index is a aggregation of hundreds of millions of scholarly e-resources and includes many of the library’s article databases. . It’s comprised of journal articles, e-books, reviews, legal documents and more that are harvested from primary and secondary publishers and aggregators, and from open-access repositories. Some of the resources indexed by PCI include data about items and materials that are not available directly from UMassD libraries. These materials can be requested through our Interlibrary Loan Services using the link provided in Primo.
Created and maintained by the College of Visual & Performing Arts Visual Resource Center, Luna contains online image and multimedia repository for instruction and learning. Developed for the use of UMassD faculty and students, researchers in Luna can search, retrieve, save, display images, audio, and multimedia files and export them directly to PowerPoint, Wikis and UMassD’s myCourses. Including Luna in Primo provides another avenue to discover these valuable resources. The initial collections available within Primo’s discovery search are publically accessible student focused collections. Additional collections will be added as they are made available.
Your search can include the following options:
- Articles, UMassD Collections & More – Searches Alma, Primo Central Index (PCI), Selected Ebsco databases, & Luna
- UMassD Collections Only – Limits search to Alma & Luna
- Reserve Print Materials – Limits Alma search to print materials on reserve. Reserve materials accessible online in a digital format are found on the library eReserves service. For more information on the library’s Course Reserves page.
- Journals by Title – Link leads to library page with a Primo search box and the Primo search facet limiting the Alma search to journal titles. The same search can be performed directly in Primo by selecting the journal facet after searching for a journal title.
It is a good idea to log in to Primo before you start searching. Logging in enables you to place requests for library material and access more of the functions within Primo.
Try Primo Search Now!