Bradford Durfee Textile School
Although the Bradford Durfee Textile School was chartered in 1895 and incorporated in 1899, it did not open its doors until 1904, when the first building was finally completed on the corner of Durfee and Bank streets in downtown Fall River. The city of Fall River raised $35,000 to match funds from the Commonwealth for its construction. The first class consisted of five day and 163 evening students. Four options were offered: a three-year diploma course in General Cotton Manufacturing, and two-year diploma courses in Designing and Weaving and in Chemistry and Dyeing. Over time the certificate courses were extended to three years and a course in Mechanical Engineering was added.